TETHER and ETHFINEX Enable Tokenized USD on Ethereum Network
Tether Limited, the leading provider of tokenized traditional government-backed currencies, today announced in partnership with Ethfinex the launch of Tether ERC20 tokens on the Ethereum Blockchain, enabling tokenized US dollars to be exchanged on the Ethereum network for the first time.
Launched in 2014, Tether claims to be the first Blockchain-enabled platform to allow traditional currencies to be tokenized, allowing users to transact with fiat currencies across the exchange without the relative volatility associated with digital currencies.
Craig Sellars, Co-founder of Tether, said:
“Following the success of our widely used US Dollar tokenisation on the Bitcoin Blockchain, this latest version enables interoperability with Ethereum-based protocols and DApps. We believe this new development will reduce the current interbank delays often involved in exchange withdrawal and allow our users access to tokenized USD – a first for the industry.”
Partnering with Tether by creating the smart contracts is Ethfinex, the leading trading and information hub for projects on the Ethereum Blockchain, set to offer access to a highly liquid and advanced trading platform for ERC20 tokens.
“The number of tokens and assets being tokenized on top of the Ethereum platform is growing rapidly, with many proving disruptive to traditional business models. By enabling all ERC20 compatible applications and protocols to integrate tokenized USD, we expect to see enhanced efficiency and further stability on the Ethereum network,” said Will Harborne, Project Lead at Ethfinex.
Tether users deposit US dollars, and soon Euros, Japanese Yen and other fiat currencies which are converted into a 1-to-1 backed digital currency called tether ₮. Each Tether then carries a name and symbol of the underlying asset it represents, and is transferable and tradeable as a standard ERC20 token.
Integrating with Tether as a compatible application is TokenCard, a smart-contract powered debit card and Ethereum gateway founded in 2016. Upon launch of their card, TokenCard will accept the Tether ERC20, enabling their users to use tokenized fiat currencies for everyday transactions.
TokenCard Co-founder Mel Gelderman said:
“The launch of Tether fiat tokens on the Ethereum network is a huge step towards mass consumer adoption. This blurs the boundaries of what is considered a Blockchain asset versus a ‘regular’ asset and will enable people to own the fiat currencies most familiar to them but in a tradeable digital form. This will make it much easier for the majority to use Ethereum powered platforms, like TokenCard. The option of choosing TokenCard over traditional banks becomes even easier if a national currency can be held in token form. The strength and versatility of the Ethereum Blockchain enables a safe and secure means of transferring funds anywhere in the world without needing to use a bank of any kind.”
“We believe this development will not only open up the world of cryptocurrencies to more mainstream consumers, but also set the standard, and encourage other companies to be more innovative and accessible in their product and service offering at this pivotal time for money and payments,” concluded Sellars.
Tether Limited holds 1:1 reserves for all Tether generated in its contract where each tether is backed by its corresponding currency on deposit. A total list of balances issued to all Tether can be viewed, verified and checked against the on-chain deployments of Tether contracts by any interested party. Tether will be fully transparent and audited to demonstrate 100 percent reserves at all times, and these reports will be published and communicated on the Tether website.
For more information, visit www.tether.to or to view the full contract security review, visit https://stableset.com/audits/tether_audit_v1/tether_audit_v1.pdf
- TETHER and ETHFINEX Enable Tokenized USD on Ethereum Network – September 13, 2017
- Belfrics Singapore Launches Belrium ICO, a KYC Complaint Blockchain – September 13, 2017
- Belarus’ XB Software Offers Smart Contracts and Blockchain Development Services – September 13, 2017
- COBINHOOD Launches; Announces Zero-Fee, High-Frequency Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform and Initial Coin Offering – September 12, 2017
- How Not to Run an ICO Community – 200,000 dollars and Counting Gone to Scammers in Hero Token Sale – September 12, 2017
- Kin Token Distribution Event Starts Today – September 12, 2017
- UK Financial Conduct Authority Doles Out ICO Warning for Investors – September 12, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Stack Partners With Mastercard To Launch The First Digital Money Account With Mobile Tap-to-pay Functionality – September 11, 2017
- Ex-UBS Group CIO Oliver Bussmann Joins Ambrosus as Strategic Advisor – September 11, 2017
- B.C. Securities Commission in Canada grants landmark bitcoin investment fund manager registration – September 9, 2017
- TraneAi To Launch ICO for $50M in Tokens to Seed the First Open-Source AI-Development Ecosystem Built on Blockchain – September 8, 2017
- Monetha Signs Partnership Deal with A Leading Central European Food Delivery Company – September 8, 2017
- Previous Chief Scientist of RSA Releases Smart Contract Connectivity Whitepaper, Facebook Director of Engineering & LLVM Creator Joins ChainLink Advisory Board – September 8, 2017
- New York Tech Company LOOMIA Taps Multi-Billion Dollar Personal Data Market – September 8, 2017
- Cross Coin and Starta Accelerator to pioneer new VC tools with first STA token buyback following Cindicator tokensale – September 8, 2017
- Cambridge Blockchain Launches European Subsidiary And Joins Infrachain Blockchain Initiative To Address Regulatory Compliance Cost Crisis – September 8, 2017
- Japanese Cryptocurrency Exchange Mr. Ripple Re-Brands Into Mr. Exchange, A Full System Upgrade – September 8, 2017
- Matchpool Finds Itself a Match, Announcing Partnership with TaaS – September 8, 2017
- Doc.ai Announces Successful Completion Of Initial Sale Of “SAFT” Securities, Pantera Capital Led The Round – September 8, 2017
- Blockchain for Travel: Manuel Araoz Joins Winding Tree’s Efforts to Decentralize the Travel Industry – September 8, 2017
- Sparkle Coin Launches Next Generation Cryptocurrency – Backed by Diamonds – September 8, 2017
- JAFCO Invests $15 Million USD in ICO Solution Company Tech Bureau – September 8, 2017
- Outlier Ventures deepens partnership with Imperial College for crypto-economic token design – September 8, 2017
- Touch Titans adopts Rivetz Next Generation Cybersecurity for Cryptocurrencies – September 8, 2017
- LAToken Launches Trades of Real Estate LAT backed by ETF – September 8, 2017
- EnvisionX Announces Latest Updates To Optimise The Supply Path – September 8, 2017
- EY, Guardtime And Industry Participants Launch The World’s First Marine Insurance Blockchain Platform – September 8, 2017
- Hybrid Intelligence: Several countries are discussing launching their own national cryptocurrencies – September 8, 2017
- DOVU works with KPMG to Set New Benchmark for Token Sales – September 8, 2017
- Ahoolee Shopping Search Engine Plans Token Sales – September 8, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Announces BETA and Upcoming Token Sale – September 8, 2017
- Crypto Valley Association Comes Out in Support for Careful ICO Regulation; Announces ICO Code of Conduct – September 8, 2017
- ICON Foundation Announces Token Sale for First Blockchain Designed for Real World Use – September 8, 2017
- DIY Patent Research Company LOCI Announces PreSale – September 8, 2017
- Snovio, Lead Generation and Sourcing Platform, Has Been Released – September 7, 2017
- Datum Plans Initial Token Offering, Want to Revolutionize the Business Model of Data – September 7, 2017
- BitJob Partners with Indorse to Transform the World of Work – September 7, 2017
- LAToken Launches Round II of its Token Sale – Open for US Citizens and Residents – September 7, 2017
- Lykke opens Latin American subsidiary in Mexico – September 7, 2017
- RefToken picks 2nd October date for limited presale – September 7, 2017
- Blockchain Company Populous announces £1 billion partnership with Luxure Global Citizen – September 7, 2017
- Swiss blockchain know-how comes to Russia – September 7, 2017
- Launch Pad for Tokenized Securities Aims To Disrupt Multi-Trillion Dollar Industry – September 7, 2017
- Pantera Capital To Invest in Maecenas Token Crowdsale – September 7, 2017
- Kinguin to offer decentralized game-trading platform built on blockchain technology – September 6, 2017
- ATLANT Platform: Major Alpha Release – September 6, 2017
- Perkins Coie Joins the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Legal Industry Working Group – September 6, 2017
- Nxt Redefines BYOB: Build Your Own Blockchain – September 6, 2017
- Sohomuse Partners With Malan Breton & Tokenly For NY Fashion Week To Launch The First Blockchain-powered Digital Experience For The Fashion Industry – September 6, 2017
- TenX Joins Prestigious Enterprise Ethereum Alliance – September 6, 2017
View All Articles